My Black Berkey Filters Stopped Working
under development (12/14/20)
Fixing the problem
1) If your filters have stopped working; you can scrub filters with a scotch-brite pad or stiff bristled brush under running water. (non softened water).
You can also use a potato peeler to peel off the top skin of the filter where most contaminants accumulate. Doing this will get your filters working again extending the life of your filters
2) Purging filters with Berkey priming / Purging Tool - This tool will blow compressed air into the filter which forcing contaminants out of the micropourous holes of the carbon media. This purging is needed periodically to keep filters working at peak efficiency.Follow steps below to Purge filters
1) fill filters full of water
2) Attach Purging Tool to stem of filter
3) Squeeze hand pump bulb continuously until all moisture leaves the filter. (You may see media dust coming out which is normal)
4) Once purging is complete and all moisture is removed from filters, Re-prime the filters.