Free Canada Post Expedited shipping on this product.
*Do NOT cycle softened (salt) water through your Berkey System*
*The Black Berkey® water filtration elements are made and assembled in the USA
Black Berkey® water filtration elements are more powerful than any other gravity filter element currently available. The Elements have a unique purification capability that is due to their unique structure. The micro- pores within the Black Berkey® Elements are so small that viruses and pathogenic bacteria are simply not able to pass through them.
Many water filters on the market may claim to be a water purifier, but do not meet the performance specifications required for this classification. In order to be classified as a water purifier, a water treatment device must remove at least 99.9999% of pathogenic bacteria and reduce viruses by 99.99%. The Black Berkey® Elements can be classified as water purifiers because they remove 99.9999% of pathogenic bacteria and 99.999% of viruses, which greatly exceeds the standard. The Black Berkey® Element formulation has been tested by State and EPA accredited laboratories to exceed NSF/ANSI Standard 53.
- Removes Chlorine, Chloramines, Heavy Metals, Pharmaceuticals, virus's, pathogenic bacteria and more!. Examples of heavy metals include mercury (Hg), cadmium (Cd), arsenic (As), chromium (Cr), thallium (Tl), and lead (Pb)
What do Black Black Berkey® water filters remove? answer is here (new window) or download our Data performance sheet pdf
Black Berkey® water filtration elements are the leader in gravity-fed water purification, backed by independent testing.
- The Black Berkey® water filtration elements formulation has been tested by State and EPA accredited laboratories to exceed NSF/ANSI Standard 53
- Includes: Two 9" Black Berkey® Elements with 2 washers, 2 wing nuts, and 1 priming button
- Installs in the upper chamber of any Berkey system. Elements can also be used to upgrade most other gravity-fed water filter systems
- Sold as a SINGLE or as a PAIR
- Durability: Depending on water quality, each Black Berkey® Element could filter approximately 3,000 gallons of water before needing replacement; 2 elements in a Berkey system can filter approximately 6,000 gallons of water before replacement is recommended
- On average, most Berkey customers replace Black Berkey®Elements every 2 to 3 years.
- Re-cleanable and self-sterilizing during the life of the element
- Elements come with a 2-year, pro-rated warranty
- The Black Berkey elements are interchangeable with other brand name gravity systems. (the PF-2 filters can be used as well.)
Berkey® systems equipped with Black Berkey® Elements can remove up to 99.999% of viruses and 99.9999% of pathogenic bacteria, while also removing or dramatically reducing protozoa, trihalomethanes, inorganic minerals, heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, VOCs, petroleum products, perfluorinated chemicals, rust, silt, sediment and even radiologicals.
Performance of Berkey water filtration elements decrease with age, regular red dye tests are recommended especially if using untreated water.
Note: TDS level water tests on our elements do not indicate a negative performance. Beneficial minerals are bypassed through the elements which will register a TDS reading. Only reverse osmosis will give you low TDS readings.
Black Berkey Elements Removal of Cryptosporidium and Giardia
Drink with confidence—independent lab tests show that our elements are extremely effective at removing these parasitic contaminants. In fact, no cysts were detected in the tested system’s effluent for both contaminants. This is important when considering the fact that consumption of just 10 giardia cysts may cause infection.
Cryptosporidium; The United States Environmental Protection Agency’s minimum removal or inactivation standard for cryptosporidium is 99%, or a 2-log reduction. Black Berkey® Elements exceed lab detectable limits, removing cryptosporidium to greater than 99.997% (log 4.6). That is over twice the EPA standard, by log 2.6.
Giardia; The EPA’s minimum removal or inactivation standard for giardia lamblia is 99.9%, a 3-log reduction. Black Berkey® Elements exceed lab detectable limits, having been tested to reduce giardia cysts by greater than 99.994%, or log 4.6. This also exceeds the EPA standard.
for more detailed information with test results, visit this page
Should have accessories;
* NE PAS ramollir (sel) l’eau par le biais de votre système Berkey *
Élément de purification Black Berkey®
- 2 éléments de purification Black Berkey® de 23 cm
- 2 rondelles
- 2 écrous à ailettes
- 1 bouton d’amorçage
- S’installe dans la chambre supérieure de tout système Berkey®. Des éléments supplémentaires peuvent également être utilisés dans la plupart des systèmes Berkey® pour améliorer la vitesse de filtration.
- Vendu en ensemble de 2 éléments.
- Nettoyable et auto-stérilisant pendant la vie de l’élément
- Chaque élément Black Berkey® est conçu pour purifier environ 11356 litres d’eau avant d’être remplacé.
- 2 éléments dans un système Berkey® purifieront environ 22712 litres d’eau avant de devoir être remplacés.
Black Berkey® Purification Elements and Berkey Earth® DE Filter Elements
The Black Berkey® Purification Elements and the Berkey Earth® DE Elements are covered under a two year limited prorated warranty, calculated in six month intervals. Warranty period begins from the date of receipt of the product by the original purchaser.
The following actions will void your warranty coverage:
1. Attempting to use the Berkey Earth® DE Filter Elements or the Ceramic Super Sterasyl™ Filtration Elements in a pressurized manner. The Black Berkey® Purification Elements are the only Berkey® elements that require priming.
2. Allowing any of the Berkey® elements to freeze.
3. Using dehumidifier water with any of the Black Berkey® Purification Elements for daily use.
4. Breaking the Berkey® elements due to dropping an assembled system or carelessness.
5. Failure to remove the Black Berkey® Elements from the system prior to transporting or moving the system, resulting in broken stems.
6. Performing a red food coloring test with the Berkey PF-2™ Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Filters attached. The Berkey PF-2™ Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Filters must be removed prior to performing a red food coloring test in order to stay in compliance with the six month warranty on these filters.
7. Using the water from a water softening system. Note: this action may clog the Berkey® Purification Elements or cause the stainless steel to pit or rust.
8. If the product is not used in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations or instructions.